PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

MaggieMae
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I think I asked this question before but now it's driving me cuckoo! I have three empty files in my download file and on my desktop that I can't delete. They can't be moved or renamed. Ugh!! Having one wasn't too bad - but three! The message is that the file is being used. I've tried rebooting - I can't find the magic button to somehow get rid of them!

Can anyone offer some advice?!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Pink Lollipop
05-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi Maggie,

Did you see any 'note' mention why cannot move or delete by Window explorer or your system software ? (e.g any 'hidden' file in the folders). When it happen to me, is when there is 'software' that is 'active' (still running when pc start). I am not a tech. person but it 'happend' to me before so may be able to 'analysis'. What did this file used to be containing? (when you download software, ebook, scrap kit etc..?) Hope someone more expert will come and solve your problem dear. Take care. :)

Jenna's mommy
05-08-2008, 12:15 AM
I restart my computor then go back and delete the folders/files that normally helps good luck.

Granny
05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
If you can't delete, move it, or rename it, it's because a program is open and using it. Close the software programs you have open, then try to delete the files.

You're computer will self destroy shortly after that, but hey, the files will be gone!!!!

:p

Desmond
05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I run into the 'locked file' problem a lot, for various reasons. I've found this tool very helpful:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

It's hit or miss ... but when it works, sure makes my job easier!

Note: Be careful when unlocking and deleting files ... sometimes they are locked for a reason!

Desmond.

O2BNGdHope
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Note: Be careful when unlocking and deleting files ... sometimes they are locked for a reason!

Desmond.

Well, aren't you just a bright ray of sunshine. I'm sure she's feeling much more confidant now. :D Between you and Granny, her computer should self-destruct in 5...4...3...

O2BNGdHope
05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Sorry, Desmond. I just couldn't resist. I've picked on Smile, Granny, Steve, Vanessa.....why not you, too. Wouldn't want you to feel left out. You ARE a part of the family, too. :D <hope I don't need a resident geek in the next couple of days.... he might not answer me....>

Vanessa
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Firstly, Maggie, do the files have names at all. That might give you a clue as to what if any programmes are using them.

Your problem might be something as simple as opening your explorer window, locating the relevant file in the "Desktop" section which depending on how your computer will be located in one of three places. "All Users", "Default User" or "OEM". Try deleting the files from this location.

If this fails, scream, kick the computer and come back and yell at us in the forum.

MaggieMae
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
The unlocker worked!! It couldn't find any "handles" so it seemed safe to delete the three folders! One of them has been on my desktop for at least a year!! Thank you - thank you - thank you!! I don't know how it works but wow! it worked. Hopefully, It didn't mess anything up and those annoying folders are gone!!

I "heart" you! :):):)

O2BNGdHope
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Yea! for Desmond! So happy for you MaggieMae!

Granny
05-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to try a different method!!!

:eek:

MaggieMae
05-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Thank you, everyone, for all your help! :):):)

angelwithin
05-12-2008, 04:47 AM
I run into the 'locked file' problem a lot, for various reasons. I've found this tool very helpful:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

It's hit or miss ... but when it works, sure makes my job easier!

Desmond.

thankyou for this Desmond....i can now see space on my pc again :D